This document presents a Theory of Change which outlines how and why sport can impact on enhancing positive outcomes for vulnerable young people within the context of youth offending and serious youth violence. The Theory of Change is based on academic insight and theory. It has been developed in consultation with a wide range of stakeholders.
In addition to the Theory of Change, this document includes discussion of:
- Why young people offend and responses to offending
- Using theory to understand sport’s contribution to positive change and a pro-social identity
- Matching the needs of the young person to the sports programme as an intervention
- Safeguarding and risk considerations
- Designing and implementing sports-based programmes
- Minimum requirements for the enablers and conditions needed for the Theory of Change for matching young people to sport programmes