Are you ready to welcome teenagers and young adults into your leisure centre?
This 3 hour workshop will help frontline, management and development staff at leisure centres to improve engagement with young people from low income groups and increase the diversity of their users.
The workshop will cover the following key areas:
- What makes young people choose physical activity? What puts them off? How can you make your programme more appealing?
- How do you get young people through the door of your centre and how do you make them feel welcome? Top tips on engaging and retaining the more inactive and hard to reach young people as participants.
- Helping facility staff to establish positive relationships with young people and deal effectively with challenging behaviour if it does arise.
- Understanding the value of the youth market to your business. The financial benefits of increased usage and income through both casual use and new memberships.
- How working with young people from under represented groups can help a leisure facility to demonstrate the wider contribution it makes to the local community and provide access to new sources of funding.
The workshop can be delivered to a team of staff from a single leisure centre or a group drawn from several facilities. All StreetGames workshops are interactive, with opportunities to share experiences, problems and solutions. Tutors with an in-depth knowledge and experience of engaging young people in physical activity and an understanding of the issues that effect delivery within leisure centres, will lead this workshop. Planning for the workshop includes a pre course discussion between the tutor and a nominated contact from the host organisation. This will allow the tutor to tailor the session to specifically meet the requirements of the facility operator and the needs of participants. The workshop will assist leisure centres that have included the new Doorstep Sport module (available from Spring 2017) within their Quest for Facilities application and are preparing for assessment.
‘The StreetGames training was very good. The content and approach worked well in terms of its relevance to leisure centre staff. The group engaged well with the tutors and responded positively to the style of delivery.’ Glen Staite-Loveridge, Young Person & Physical Literacy Manager, Places for People Leisure Ltd.
‘The StreetGames workshops were exceptionally well organised and delivered, and I know that everyone who attended took a lot away from the day. The content was relevant and it definitely got facility staff thinking about how to engage with young people going forward.’ Steven Hood, Community Sport Activity Officer, Bolton Community Leisure.
Individual price: £60* per person
Course price: £600*
If booking a whole course, this course requires a minimum of 10 learners and can support a maximum of 20 learners.
If you would like to discuss a price or learner requirements for any of our courses please contact us.
*For organisations who are StreetMarked, these costs may be subsidised, please contact your local Doorstep Sport Advisor to discuss.
Fill out our training enquiry form if you are you looking to book a course exclusively for your organisation or if you would like to discuss something more bespoke.